Accounts Payable Process
Controller’s Office Hopkins Hall, 1st Floor-Office Hours: Monday-Friday-8:30 am to 4:30pm
Office Website: http://controller.williams.edu/
Accounts Payable (How to pay a Bill): Forms website: http://controller.williams.edu/forms/
Things to Remember:
Three different forms:
- Invoice Form: Invoice number and date is required to use this form.
- Request for Payment/Reimbursement: To pay a non-invoice bill or to request a personal reimbursement for items purchased.
- Travel Reimbursement: Use to request reimbursement for expenses from traveling.
- Review carefully, approve and submit for payment in a timely manner.
- Make sure account numbers are correct, have required signatures and proper backup.
- Allow 2 weeks for processing of voucher & issuing check/direct deposit-Payments are only processed on Wednesday.
- Checks will be mailed directly to vendors or directly deposited. ONLY exception is if the payment is handed to the speaker/performer on the night of the event. It is your responsibility to retrieve, “pick-up” check on the day checks are issued.
Filling out an AP Request for Payment/Reimbursement Voucher
- Vendor Legal Name: Check Payable to-Full name of person or business to whom the check is being issued. Do Not Use Nicknames, i.e., Rick, Sue, Bob. Use full legal names, i.e., Richard, Susan, Robert.
- Address: Enter full remit to address. Do not leave this area blank. Checks, including checks being held for pick-up, cannot be issued without the proper payment address.
- W9: When services are rendered by non-incorporated independent contractors (including students) a W9 must be filled out and submitted with the voucher. The IRS requires we have a W9 on file before payment to insure proper year-end tax reporting. Examples of independent contractors are DJ’s, speakers (honorariums), drivers and bands. Do not write a personal check to a contractor and then request a reimbursement. All payments to independent contractors must be processed through the Accounts Payable system in order to insure proper taxing. If you pay the contractor directly you may be responsible for this tax reporting.
- PS Account: This is the 6-digit code that is used to define the type of expense that is being paid. This is a required field. An account listing can be found at http://controller.williams.edu/ps-account-listing/.
- Account Numbers: Fund number is a 3-digit code associated with your 7-digit Department number or 6-digit Project/Grant number. You will enter either a ps account-fund-project or ps account-fund-department combination. Never will you enter a ps account-fund-department and project combination. This is invalid.
- Description: This description area will appear on the check stub. This information will assist the recipient to properly record the receipt of the payment.
- Date: Use date of service, date of purchase or current date whichever applies.
- Amount in US Dollars: Amount to be paid to vendor in US dollars. In the event you must pay a bill in foreign currency please contact the Accounts Payable Office (x4453 or x4009) and we will walk you through the correct paperwork.
- Mail, Pick-up or Enclosure: All checks will be mailed to the vendor with the exception of any check that needs to be given to a performer/speaker at the time of event. Checks held for pick-up must be collected promptly. If there is an enclosure that needs to accompany the check, mark the voucher with enclosure. Please make a copy of the enclosure and paperclip it to the voucher. There will be 2 copies of the enclosure, one as backup to the voucher and one copy to be mailed with check.
- Back-up Documentation: ALL Original invoices and Original receipts must be with the voucher. Credit card slips alone are not acceptable. Itemized receipts are required. All small receipts must be taped on all 4 sides and to the FRONT ONLY of 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. Try not to cover amounts on receipt with the tape because the printing can become unreadable.
Filling out an Invoice Form
- Original Invoice: We will only pay from an invoice that has a unique invoice number and date. We DO NOT pay from Statements or Quotes.
- Needed on Invoice Payment Form:
PS Account: This is the 6-digit code that is used to define the type of expense that is being paid. An account listing can be found at http://controller.williams.edu/ps-account-listing/.
Account Numbers: Fund number a 3-digit code associated with your 7-digit Department number or 6-digit Project/Grant number.
Description: This description will appear on financial reports.
Filling out a Travel Reimbursement Form
- Payee and Address of Payee: Check Payable To-Full legal name of person to whom the check is being issued. No nicknames. Enter full remit to address. Do not leave this area blank.
- Date of Trip, Destination and Purpose of Trip: This information is required for auditing purposes and is recorded on the check and the PeopleSoft financial reports.
- PS Account Numbers: Several are provided with the corresponding description. Example: 541000: Trains, cabs, tolls-541010: Airfare.
- Account Numbers: Fund number a 3-digit code associated with your 7-digit Department number or 6-digit Project/Grant number.
- Amount: Enter one total for each PS account. If receipts are in a foreign currency, calculate the conversion back to US dollars and enter that amount. Record the conversion rate used. Example: Total all taxi and tolls receipts. Total all meal receipts. For mileage please include a printout from MapQuest/Google maps indicating total mileage traveled.
- Back-up Documentation: ALL original invoices and receipts must accompany the voucher to accounts payable. Credit card slips alone are not acceptable. Itemized receipts are required especially for all meal purchases. All small receipts must be taped on all 4 sides and to the FRONT ONLY of 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. Try not to cover amounts on receipt with the tape because the printing can become unreadable.